Wednesday, October 9, 2013

To cheat or Not to Cheat

To Cheat or Not to Cheat
Going through a significant other's phone or spying on them with another person is never an easy situation to comprehend, but Creep by TLC, emphasis the idea of do unto others as they do to you; cheat right back. TLC, composed of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, was commonly known for Watkins’ deep and soulful verses as well as Left-eyes unusual nasal rap solos. TLC’s music was considered part of the women’s empowerment movement as well as vastly different from what was being produced at the time, as their music created many unheard of beats, as well as colorful music videos that no one was even thinking of at the time. Their song
Creep  was no different.


Creep, written by Atlanta based producer Dallas Austin and Lisa Lopes, and samples from Slick Rick's Hey Young World, was TLC’s first single from their sophomore album, CrazySexyCool. The single climbed to the number one spot on the Billboard Hot One Hundred chart, received two Grammy nominations, and landed the Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with vocals at the 1996 Grammy’s. The song’s lyrics put a new perspective on infidelity in the dating world, as this song supports women fighting back. The song’s background establishes the idea that a woman in a relationship is aware of her boyfriend’s infidelity by knowledge and by going through his phone.  the lyrics promote cheating right back.The first verse begins:  
The twenty second of loneliness
And we've been through so many things.
I love my man with all honesty,
But I know he's cheating on me.
Look him in the eyes,
But all he tells me is lies to keep me near           

solidifying the fact that  the man in the relationship is cheating on her. This could potentially be a recurring theme as she states they have been through so many trials and tribulations together, but regardless of what they go through, she will always have love for him. Personally, if I knew something extra was going on with the man I loved, and I truly loved him, I would not be able to handle that. No woman who truly loves her man would be okay with her man cheating on her. I’m not saying they wouldn't stay, because sometimes love clouds judgment, but it would be very difficult emotionally to maintain that love.  

Later in the song, around the third verse, an emotional 360 occurs.  It states:
But I'm not buggin' 'cause I still feel the same.
I Keep giving loving till the day he pushes me away.
Never go astray.
If he knew the things I did, he couldn't handle me.
And I choose to keep him protected, oh.
creating a very contradictory idea that he’s lying and cheating on the vocalist but she’s never going to leave him. Instead, she’s going to pull strings with someone else’s emotions, and cheat on him, all because she needs some attention and affection. To me, that seems like the beginning of a bigger mess being created. Interestingly enough, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes had very similar feelings. In the documentary, “The Last Days of Left-Eye”, she talks about how she threatened to wear black tape during the music video as she was was said to be 100% against the concept of the song. Lopes, agreed that it’s better for a woman to get up and leave a relationship rather than cheat back.
By cheating back, you’re messing with a third party’s emotions that will lead them to getting hurt. The love and attention, though it might feel good, isn't the real love and attention which makes this relationship one sided again. Lastly, even though the boyfriend is cheating, the likelihood of being extremely upset when he finds out is very high.
 In the chorus they sing:
So I creep, yeah
Just keep it on the down low
Said nobody is supposed to know
So I creep, yeah
'Cause he doesn't know what I do
And no attention goes
to show
Oh, so I creep
essentially painting a two way mirror image of both of their secret lives, yet no one wants to accept the reflection. On one side, you have the woman looking into the man’s life and witnessing his cheating actions and knowing everything that he is doing; and on the other side you have the man looking into a dark mirror and not even realizing he is getting played by his girlfriend in the exact same way.

Creep by TLC will always be known as one of the best R&B songs in history, but for me I view it as a backtrack of female empowerment, which ironically is what the group stood for. Sadly, women are going to hear these lyrics, and because the group is so famous and influential,  women are going to listen and take the words to heart. On a personal level I agree with Left-Eye’s view of the song. Women should never cheat back, they should stand their ground and leave. Women are strong powerful people too, and deserve to show that in every way possible. Cheating back doesn't prove anything except that women can be just as hard headed as men which will always be a never ending battle. But hey if women want to go chasing after crashing  waterfall relationships that’s fine, i’m going to stick to my calm river and lake relationships that I’m used to.



6 comments:

  1. So I absolutely love the way you ended this blog with a pun from TLC other greatest hit "waterfalls." So girl, you are telling me that if you found out that your man was cheating on you, you would automatically take the high road and just get up and leave? No, I don' t think so. Maybe I'm biased, or maybe I have been influenced by the song in the past because I love this record, but I agree with TLC. If I love the guy that I am with and I found out that he is cheating on me, I would definitely find someone else to cheat with. I know that sounds spiteful, but I do not want to lose the one I'm with and I also do not want to be played for a fool. TLC put it best, they are not worried about anything because they still feel the same about the guy they are with. However, if or when the guy pushes her away she will have another guy to run to. Its pretty smart if you ask me. Guys do it, so why can't women? I mean, if you can't beat them, join them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, I appreciate it. I see where you are coming from and understand your points and respect them. I'm the same way with the idea that I don't want to be made a fool, and to me if i'm putting forth so much effort in a relationship to not get anything in return, I feel like i'm being made into that fool. I'm going to love with all my heart and if it's a constant back in forth struggle with attention from my man or having to go to my boo on the side, I feel like my feelings would begin to digress and the reason why i fell in love with him might begin to fade. I can't speak from personal experience but that's how I feel based on relationships I have seen that have had these challenges. However, I do see where you are coming from and you do bring up several great points.

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, I think it highlights something that most couples wouldn't want to talk about today. Going along with what Devyn said, don't you think it's always right to take the high road? Are there any exceptions to cheating, even if you are doing it "for the greater good"? I know this is somewhat of a sore subject, but I believe regardless of a situation, the better person is never one who seeks vengeance. Trust is what relationships are all about, and if you cheated on your significant other simply because they cheated on you, wouldn't you suspect that the other person couldn't trust you either? I believe the whole "getting someone back" idea is childish and immature, and it takes a real person to take the high road. I really enjoyed your insights on this topic and song -- great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, i really appreciate it. Like i said in Devyn's comment, I can't speak from personal experience but yes I do believe that taking the high road is generally the better option for this situation. Like you said relationships are based on trust and if both parties are cheating on each other, then trust is hard to come by. Cheating is such a hurtful act that I think it would be hard to look past but there could be exceptions I just haven't found them yet.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with your ideas Alexa. The lyrics of this song encourage women to take a step backwards and stoop to levels as low as their cheating mates. In order to advance personally, one shouldn't do something as childish as getting revenge. One also has the option of continuing in a relationship without retaliation. How easy is it to move on from the one you love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, I appreciate it. To answer your question, it isn't easy. They are always going to be on your mind, and you are never going to be completely over them because of what they mean to you. But what if they are not treating you like the love of their life and even though you love them with all your heart, what if they were sharing theirs with someone else? The question I ask, is if you really love someone with all your heart and consider them the love of their life, wouldn't it hurt you if you weren't receiving all their love in return, but instead had somebody else they were giving it to?

      Delete